Are Lawn Mushrooms Poisonous? What You Need to Know

Photo of author
Written By Sharline

Sharline is an expert on Chinese export trade. With 10 years of experience in the field of sourcing in China, she is familiar with all relevant regulations and laws about China's exporting. She loves to share her experiences with people and has written many helpful articles.

Mushrooms are common in many lawns, especially during the wet and humid months. While some may find them charming or fascinating, others may be concerned about their potential toxicity. 

This leads to the question: are lawn mushrooms poisonous? The answer is not straightforward, as many types of mushrooms can grow in lawns, and their toxicity levels can vary widely. In this post, we’ll explore some of the common types of lawn mushrooms, their toxicity levels, and what to do if you suspect someone (or a pet) has ingested a poisonous mushroom. 

So if you’re curious about lawn mushrooms and their potential dangers, read on!

Are lawn mushrooms poisonous?

The truth is some lawn mushrooms are poisonous, and some are not. In this article, we will explore the topic of lawn mushrooms, their toxicity, and how to identify and manage them.

Firstly, it’s essential to know that mushrooms are the fruiting bodies of fungi, and they are vital for the ecosystem as they help break down organic matter. There are many different species of fungi, and some of them produce poisonous mushrooms. Poisonous mushrooms can cause various symptoms in humans, from mild stomach upsets to life-threatening organ failure. Therefore, knowing the risks of consuming or even touching lawn mushrooms is crucial.

Most lawn mushrooms are not poisonous and pose no threat to humans or animals. However, some highly toxic species can cause serious harm if ingested. These include the death cap (Amanita phalloides) and the destroying angel (Amanita bisporigera), responsible for most mushroom poisoning cases worldwide. These mushrooms are highly toxic and can cause severe damage to the liver, kidneys, and other organs. Ingesting just a small amount can be fatal, and no known antidote exists.

Other poisonous lawn mushrooms include:

  • The little brown mushroom (LBMs).
  • The fool’s mushroom (Amanita verna).
  • The green-spored parasol (Chlorophyllum molybdites).

These mushrooms are less toxic than the death cap and the destroying angel but can still cause severe symptoms such as stomach cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea.

While some lawn mushrooms are poisonous, it’s important to note that not all mushrooms are toxic. Some are edible and can be a delicious addition to a meal. However, it’s crucial to identify which mushrooms are safe to eat and which are not.

How to distinguish whether lawn mushrooms are poisonous?

There are a few things to keep in mind when identifying lawn mushrooms. Firstly, look at the color and texture of the mushroom. Poisonous mushrooms have bright colors, such as red, orange, or yellow, and often have a slimy or waxy texture. Edible mushrooms, on the other hand, tend to be more subdued in color and have a dry, powdery texture.

Secondly, look at the gills under the cap of the mushroom. Poisonous mushrooms often have white or light-colored gills, while edible mushrooms have darker gills. Additionally, check the shape of the mushroom. Edible mushrooms tend to have a rounded cap with a central stalk, while poisonous mushrooms can have a wide range of shapes and sizes.

It’s important to note that identifying mushrooms can be tricky, and it’s best to err on the side of caution. Don’t eat if you need to figure out whether a mushroom is safe. Even small amounts of poisonous mushrooms can cause serious harm.

If you have lawn mushrooms and are concerned about their toxicity, removing them is the best course of action. There are several ways to do this, depending on the size and location of the mushrooms. You can pull small mushrooms out of the ground by hand, being careful not to touch them directly. For more giant mushrooms or clusters of mushrooms, you can use a trowel or small shovel to dig them out carefully.

How to prevent lawn mushrooms from growing?

If you want to prevent lawn mushrooms from growing in the first place, there are a few steps you can take.

Improve Soil Drainage

Excessive moisture in the soil is one of the primary reasons for the growth of lawn mushrooms. Improving the drainage of your soil by adding organic matter or creating drainage channels can prevent the buildup of water and reduce the chances of mushrooms growing.

Reduce Shade

Mushrooms love shade, so reducing the shade in your lawn can help prevent their growth. Pruning trees and shrubs blocking sunlight and removing any other obstacles preventing sunlight from reaching your lawn can help reduce the chances of mushrooms growing.

Remove Organic Matter

Mushrooms thrive on organic matter such as dead leaves, grass clippings, and other yard debris. Removing this organic matter from your lawn can help to prevent mushrooms from growing. Regularly mowing your lawn and raking up any debris can help to reduce the chances of lawn mushrooms appearing.

Water Infrequently

Over-watering your lawn can create the ideal environment for mushroom growth. Watering your lawn less frequently and only when necessary can reduce the moisture in the soil and prevent mushrooms from growing.

Apply Fungicide

Fungicides are chemical treatments that can help to prevent lawn mushrooms from growing. These treatments can be applied to your lawn and help kill the fungi that cause mushrooms to grow. However, it’s important to note that these chemicals can also harm beneficial organisms in your soil, so they should be used sparingly and only when necessary.

Following these steps can reduce the likelihood of lawn mushrooms appearing in your yard. However, it’s important to remember that mushrooms are a natural part of the ecosystem, and in most cases, they are harmless. If you find mushrooms growing in your lawn, it’s best to leave them alone or remove them carefully to avoid spreading their spores.


In conclusion, mushrooms in your lawn can cause concern, especially if you have children or pets who may accidentally ingest them. While many lawn mushrooms are non-toxic, some can be potentially poisonous and should be treated cautiously. 

It’s essential to correctly identify the type of mushroom before attempting to remove or dispose of it, as some can release spores that can spread and cause further problems. If you suspect someone (or a pet) has ingested a poisonous mushroom, seek medical attention immediately. 

By being aware of the potential risks associated with lawn mushrooms and taking appropriate precautions, you can help ensure the safety of yourself, your family, and your pets.